Brisa Chef Knife Kit, Japanese Style
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available
- Calculated at Checkout
Brisa Chef 185 mm Knife Kit
Make your own full-sized chef knife with a 185 mm blade in Japanese stype.
The blade is made in Finland in Swedish 12c27 steel, a popular stainless steel for chef knives.
Brisa is the top-shelf brand from Brisa, with precision ground blades and excellent finish.
This knife really feels like a quality tool with good weight distribution and a business edge on it.
The Santoku knife is the Japanese version of the Western general use chef's knife.
The santoku is excellent for chopping vegetables and the wide blade works well for scooping sliced food off a cutting board.
The kit consists of
- Chef fulltang blade, sharp and ready to handle
- Handle Scales, already shaped in 3D (see options)
- Red spacer material already glued into the handle scales
- Brass corby bolts
Options: Select handle scales in either arctic Curly Birch, Desert Ironwood, or Green Canvas Micarta.
This is a great starter project, requiring little work and few tools.
These make an excellent chef knife, taking and holding a razor sharp edge.
The chef knife kit can be completed with simple hand tools.
- Glue the handle scales to the knife blade with epoxy glue
- Tighten the corby bolts in the handle scale holes (For a tight fit, shorten the female end 1 mm with a file or belt sander)
- File or grind down the bolts level with the handle scales
- Optional: shape the handle scales more with file, rasp or coarse sand paper
- Smooth the handle with sand paper
- Optional finish: seal the handle with oil, wax or varnish
Example of an Brisa Chef with curly birch handle scales, by Graham G in Bundeena, NSW:
Example of the Brisa Chef completed with Ivory Linen Micarta scales, by Brett McCarthy, Townsville, QLD:
Black Canvas Micarta:
Brown Canvas Micarta:
Ivory Linen Micarta:
Desert Ironwood, Green Canvas Micarta and Curly birch scales:
I had been interested in making a knife but in the absence of the appropriate tools and the expense of buying kilns and grinders I looked into CreativeMan products. The chef blade is awesome. It's sharp, has an excellent edge and the action and weight are perfect. I loved being able to fashion the handle to the shape I wanted. I gave the handle a coating of Tung oil and the result is perfect. My wife loves it. Now I want to get something for myself!